The Transplant Waiting List*
|ORGAN NEEDED||PATIENTS IN US||PATIENTS IN NC|
*As of May 3, 2017. For updated information, go to www.optn.org. Some patients are waiting for more than one organ; therefore the total number of patients is less than the sum of the patients waiting for each organ.
- 4,891,695: Total number of registered donors in North Carolina
- 1,137,997: Number of individuals who chose to register as a donor by adding or renewing a heart at the DMV in North Carolina
- 782: Number of tissue donors in the CDS service area
- 194: Number of organ donors in the CDS service area
Top DMV Offices for 2016*
- Morehead City
*Based on the rate at which license and ID card applicants chose to renew or add a heart to their license or ID within a given period of time
Top Donor Hospitals for 2016
Top Organ Donor Hospitals*
- Vidant Medical Center
- New Hanover Regional Medical Center
- UNC Hospitals
- Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
*Based on the number of organ donors
Top Tissue Donor Hospitals**
- FirstHealth (Montgomery Memorial Hospital, Moore Regional-Hoke Campus & Richmond Memorial Hospital)
- Alleghany Memorial Hospital
- Novant Health Brunswick Medical Center
- Ashe Memorial Hospital, Inc.
- Lexington Medical Center-WFBH
**Based on the number of tissue donors divided by the number of referrals
2016 Organ Donor Hospitals
|Caldwell Memorial Hospital||High Point Regional: UNC Health||Vidant Medical Cneter|
|Cape Fear Valley Health System||Moses H. Cone Memorial Hospital||Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center|
|Carolina East Medical Center||New Hanover Regional Medical Center||WakeMed|
|Duke Regional Hospital||Novant Health Forsyth Medical Center||Wayne Memorial Hospital|
|Duke University Medical Center||Rex Healthcare|
|FirstHealth Moore Regional Hospital||Southeastern Regional Medical Center|
|Frye Regional Medical Center||UNC Hospitals|
2016 Tissue Donor Hospitals
|Alamance Regional Medical Center||FirstHealth Montgomery Memorial Hospital||Naval Hospital - Camp Lejeune||UNC Hospitals|
|Alleghany Memorial Hospital||FirstHealth Moore Regional Hospital||New Hanover Regional Medical Center||UNC Hospitals Hillsborough Campus|
|Annie Penn Hospital||FirsHealth Moore Regional - Hoke Campus||Northern Hospital of Surry County||Vidant Beaufort Hospital|
|Ashe Memorial Hospital, Inc.||FirstHealth Richmond Memorial Hospital||Novant Health Brunswick Medical Center||Vidant Bertie Hospital|
|Bladen County Hospital||Frye Regional Medical Center||Novant Health Forsyth Medical Center||Vidant Chowan Hospital|
|Caldwell Memorial Hospital, Inc.||Granville Medical Center||Novant Health Kernersville Medical Center||Vidant Duplin Hospital|
|Cape Fear Valley Health System||Halifax Regional Medical Center||Novant Health Rowan Medical Center||Vidant Edgecombe Hospital|
|Carolina East Medical Center||Harnett Health - Betsy Johnson Hospital||Novant Health Thomasville Medical Center||Vidant Medical Center|
|Carteret Health Care||Harnett Health - Central Harnett Hospital||Onslow Memorial Hospital||Vidant Roanoke-Chowan Hospital|
|Catawba Valley Medical Center||High Point Regional: UNC Health||Outer Banks Hospital, The||Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center|
|Central Carolina Hospital||Hugh Chatham Memorial Hospital||Pender Memorial Hospital||WakeMed|
|Chatham Hospital||Iredell Memorial Hospital, Inc.||Person Memorial Hospital||WakeMed Cary Hospital|
|Columbus Regional Healthcare System||J. Arthur Dosher Memorial Hospital||Pioneer Community Hospital of Stokes||Watauga Medical Center|
|Danville Regional Medical Center||Johnston Medical Center-Clayton||Randolph Hospital||Wayne Memorial Hospital|
|Davis Regional Medical Center||Lenoir Memorial Hospital||Rex Healthcare||Wilkes Regional Medical Center|
|Dept. of Veterans Affairs Medical Center-Durham||Lexington Medical Center - WFBH||Sampson Regional Medical Center||Wilson Medical Center|
|Dept. of Veterans Affairs Medical Center-Fayetteville||Maria Parham Hospital||Sandhills Regional Medical Center|
|Dept. of Veterans Affairs Medical Center-Salisbury||Martin General Hospital||Scotland Memorial Hospital|
|Duke Raleigh Hospital||Morehead Memorial Hospital||Select Speciality Hospital - Durham|
|Duke Regional Hospital||Moses H. Cone Memorial Hospital||Sentara Albemarle Medical Center|
|Duke University Medical Center||Nash Health Care Systems||Southeastern Regional Medical Center|
- It is estimated that nearly 33,600 patients began new lives in 2016 thanks to organ transplants.
- About 58% of patients awaiting lifesaving transplants are minorities.
- More than 80% of those waiting are in need of a kidney transplant.
- Another person is added to the nation's organ transplant waiting list every 10 minutes.
- Sadly, 8,000 people die each year - 22 people each day - due to the lack of available organs.
- Each year, there are approximately 30,000 tissue donors and more than 1 million tissue transplants; the surgical need for donated tissue is steadily rising.
- A single donor can save or enhance the lives of more than 50 people.
- More than 130 million people, approximately half of the US adult population, are registered organ, eye and tissue donors.
- 95% of Americans support organ donation, but only about 50% are registered donors. Help close the gap by registering today!
Data from the Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network (OPTN) through December 31, 2016.